For lots of young people between the ages of 20 and 25, a test for gonorrhoea and chlamydia is sufficient. You can simply take the test yourself in the toilet. If you're male, you provide a urine sample; if you're female, you take a vaginal swab. You then hand in the test material to us.
Am I eligible for a self-screening test?
Yes, but only if...
- You live in the working area of the Amsterdam Municipal Health Service (GGD).
- You, your parents and your partner(s) were born in the Netherlands (or Western Europe, the USA, Canada or Australia).
- You don't have any complaints that could indicate an STD.
- You have not been warned of an STD.
- As a male, you don't have sex with other men.
- You are not paid for sex.
Do all of the above points apply to you? If so, you have two options:
- You make an appointment and have a chat with the nurse. The nurse can answer all of your questions about STDs and sexuality. Afterwards, you collect the test material yourself in the toilet.
- You make an appointment and collect your test from the desk. You collect the materials yourself in the toilet.
In both cases, make an appointment with the STI Outpatient Clinic.
‘NB: Your STD test (for chlamydia and gonorrhoea) provides a reliable result from 7 days after sex.’
In both cases, the results of the test will be known within 5 days. Only you can see these results on a secure web page. If you have an STD, you return to the Municipal Health Service (GGD) for treatment.
Are you not eligible?
Are you between 20 and 25, but the criteria listed above don't apply to you? If so, you are also eligible for an STD test, but we offer you a consultation with the nurse. Make an appointment with the STI Outpatient Clinic.
NB.: A self-screening test is NOT the same as a do-it-yourself test. With do-it-yourself tests (which you can buy in chemists), you read the result yourself. Do-it-yourself tests are NOT reliable.
Proof of identity
Take a valid proof of identity with you to the STI Outpatient Clinic, because checks are carried out to ensure you are under the age of 25.