It is currently very busy at the STI clinic, which means that waiting times for a STI test are longer than usual, with or without symptoms. In case of emergency, or if you cannot wait that long, you can go to your GP (family doctor). We apologize for the inconvenience.
From 29 May 2019 the entrance to the STI outpatient clinic has been moved from Weesperplein 1 to the main entrance of the GGD, Nieuwe Achtergracht 100 (around the corner from the former entrance).
Criteria for a consultation
- You are at an increased risk of contracting an STI because:
- as a man you are having sex with other men
- sex is your work
- you come from an area where STIs are prevalent
- you have sex with partners who are at high-risk
- You have symptoms that indicate that you may have an STI
- Young people up to 25 years are eligible for either a consultation or a self-sampling package, depending on their personal situation
- You have been warned that you may have an STI: a warning directly by a person with whom you have been in sexual contact or a warning by the Public Health Service.
- You live in Amsterdam, Aalsmeer, Amstelveen, Diemen, Ouder-Amstel or Uithoorn.
Can you recognise an early hiv-infection?
A combination of symptoms could be a early hiv-infection. Are you a man and did you have unprotected sex with an other man and do you have any of those symptoms? Then there is a possibility you have a hiv-infection. Reacting quickly is very important. Do the symptom test at hebikhiv.nl.
About the STI Outpatient Clinic
You can undergo a free test and, if necessary, receive treatment for an STI (sexually transmitted infection) at the STI Outpatient Clinic of the Public Health Service Amsterdam, provided you meet the criteria set by the RIVM [National Institute for Public Health and the Environment]. The STI Outpatient Clinic of the Public Health Service is an additional provision to GP care.
People without symptoms who wish to undergo an STI test for safety reasons are advised to visit their GP for an STI test.
Depending on your situation it may be the case that only certain STI tests are required (e.g. just chlamydia and gonorrhoea). This will be discussed with you during your visit. For additional assistance with sexual health queries (Sense), young people under the age of 25 can make an appointment free of charge.